Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Distraction!


You know of what I have far too many? (We’re going to ignore that awkward sentence structure in light of it being grammatically correct.) Distractions. You know what I love but really should hate with the passion of a thousand dying stars? Distractions.

My favorite distraction? Text-based role-playing. It’s addictive for the writing-influenced mind, I swear. I suppose it could be compared to World of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons (I’ll admit to playing the latter, but I’ve never tried the former), except it’s all done with words. It’s all written out. There are no dice to throw or graphics to load, just a good, old-fashioned story to write with your partner(s). It's so helpful for throwing ideas around and a bit of world-building on occasion, definitely character development. What better way to get to know your characters than by sticking them in random situations with someone else's character, after all? 

But there's an inherent problem here. Well, two, really. 1) It's addicting and time consuming. 2) It's a distraction. There have been several times when I wander around thinking about a story and realizing I'm plotting out my characters' next moves in a role play when I should be working on something like figuring out how long it takes to get from one country to another in my actual story, especially without falling into the "Horse as Motorcycle" syndrome. Don't get me wrong, everyone needs a break from their work now and again. But this gets ridiculous. And, I'll admit, there have been times when I'm so sucked into a particular plot line with someone else that I neglect my book(s) for weeks at a time. I tell myself I'm still writing, so it's okay. 

Except that it's not okay. Yes, the role plays are fun and helpful on occasion, but they're not helping me get my book written. (With the sole exception of the one plot my friend and I are attempting to turn into an actual book eventually.) So here's my confession: My name is Emerson and I'm addicted to distractions. 

That's step one in recovery, isn't it? What's step two? I have no idea. For this, it's probably turning the internet off for a while every day and forcing myself to actually work. Otherwise this is going to be a very long, very slow, very painful process. 

What about you guys, all three of my readers? What are your worst distractions and how do you overcome them? 

1 comment:

  1. Distractions are a necessary part of life, when balanced properly. The writer has a very difficult position indeed; having a creative mind chained by deadlines. There comes a time where one has to consider whether they are distracted because their heart is not currently in their work, or if it is truly an addiction.

    Having an addiction that is good, bad, or indifferent is never easy to overcome. Depending on the severity, the simplest solution is to remove yourself from the situation. This takes an incredible amount of willpower (and maybe some help), as well as repetition.

    Being a former role-player myself (both text based and live-action, I understand how addictive it can truly be. My suggestion to you is one that serves me well. Try finding a park, or an alley; something that inspires you and can aide your creative juices in the way of whatever work you are currently writing. Not only turning off the internet, but leaving it behind. Turn off your phone, and take in the beauty of a wonderful Muse... The world around you.

    I hope this helps :)
    Aerith

    ReplyDelete